Beginning each morning with a cup of coffee is a ritual most of us look forward to. Not only does the caffeine give us the kick start we need to get our day going, the rich aroma soothes us and the antioxidants help our bodies fight free radicals with each sip. The benefits of the magical bean don’t stop at the pour of the coffee pot, however. Coffee is just as effective and beneficial to our skin as well! No matter what issues you’re hoping to help by using a coffee scrub, we’re convinced you’ll see awesome results.
10 ways that a coffee scrub can transform your skin.
1. Smooth: From your heels to your neck (dont use it on your face), a coffee scrub can help slough off dead skin cells, revealing fresh, new skin underneath. After using a coffee scrub in the shower, your skin is sure to feel softer to the touch and look smoother. The scrub’s killer scent also helps invigorate all of our senses—so we especially love using a coffee scrub for our morning showers when we’re most in need of a little more pep in our step.
2. Brighten: In the same way that coffee can boost your mental alertness in the morning, it also helps wake up your skin! Caffeine is a stimulant (tell us something we don’t know, right?) and will stimulate your skin the same way it stimulates your heart rate. Additionally, the scrub will get rid of dull, dead cells on your skin’s surface which will naturally lead to brighter skin as a result!
3. Reduces Puffiness: Tired eyes are the worst—and dark circles and puffiness around them are so hard to get rid of (especially if you never seem able to catch up on your sleep!) Fortunately, coffee scrubs are gentle enough to use around the eye area but effective enough to make a major difference in your eye area appearance. Because the caffeine in the coffee restricts your blood vessels and the scrub stimulates your skin, you’ll end up with tighter, less tired looking eyes. Remember to be very, very gentle as your eye area is very delicate so do not scrub but just apply lightly and leave a minute or so before removing. Look at the source of you puffy eyes – in the majority of cases its a lack of water so keep that water flowing.
4. Improves Circulation: The simple act of scrubbing your body is enough to help get your blood moving through your veins; that’s why we love dry brushing so much to help improve circulation! But coffee has the added benefit of caffeine which (surprise, surprise) acts as a stimulant on your skin as you scrub it on your body.
5. Reduces the Appearance of Cellulite: First and foremost, it’s important to note that you can’t actually get rid of cellulite for good (at least naturally). Once it’s there, it’s there! Thankfully, there are ways to temporarily reduce its appearance—and a coffee scrub is one of them. As we stated before, coffee is a diuretic which essentially dehydrates your body. When applied topically, that diuretic property actually dehydrates the fat cells closest to your skin’s surface which shrinks their size. Smaller fat cells means less noticeable fat cells and improved cellulite.
6. Tighten: If you’re looking to get an instant face lift without a needle in sight, try using a coffee scrub on your face in the morning. The diuretic properties will help temporarily dehydrate your fat cells (just like it does for your cellulite) and constrict your blood vessels, making for an overall tighter appearance around your face. Again dont use it as a scrub, it is too active for the facial skin. Just apply a thin film over the skin and remove with lukewarm water. Then use a good moisturiser
7. Fights Aging: Free radicals oxidize healthy cells in our bodies, causing potentially dangerous chain reactions of unstable cells in our bodies. These unstable chain reactions are thought to be a cause of premature aging and sun spots. Antioxidants are free radical-fighting compounds that are found both in our body and in certain natural substances like, you guessed it, coffee beans. It’s true; coffee beans are free radical fighting powerhouses and can help keep your skin stay looking young, fresh and undamaged. So its a great way to improve skin texture and tone of the body.
8. Calms: Antioxidants are at work once again! If you suffer from inflamed, sensitive or uneven skin tone, a coffee scrub can help calm your skin, with the antioxidants working to keep it balanced and healthy.
9. Repairs UV Damage: Just as coffee’s antioxidant properties can help combat fine lines and wrinkles, so too can it help repair sun damage. Whether it’s sun spots, freckles or hyper pigmentation, a coffee scrub can help foster new cell turnover and rid your skin of those unsightly spots.
10. Helps Rosacea: The caffeine found in coffee constricts blood vessels, thus helping keep redness away from the skin’s surface. Those suffering from Rosacea can hope to see a noticeable difference in their flare-ups if they use a coffee scrub as a part of their regular skincare routine. (apply only as a mask and not as a scrub)
Adding a coffee scrub to your regular routine is a wonderful way to exfoliate your skin.
You can use at home recycled coffee, but our blend only uses fresh coffee. It is also only dry ingredients used so to make it into a scrub you need to add fluid. This can be a small amount of water to make a slurry or some coconut oil, hemp oil or the like to make it a little more moisturising at the same time.
Always stand in the shower when doing this as it is messy. When you have completed your exfoliation just shower off. It is also amazing for the dowagers hump at the back of the neck – caused by jutting the jaw and neck out too much. By using the active properties of coffee to help diminish the hump combined with better neck posture, you can achieve a more desirable silhouette.
Our ingredients are different to most because we utilise ingredients in our Raw Beauty Bar – strong full-bodied ground coffee, Himalayan pink salt, coconut sugar, vanilla essence, pink grapefruit oil, rosemary, sweet fennel oil, juniperberry oil and carrrot seed oil (certified organic)
DO NOT CONSUME!